Thursday, October 22, 2009

I’ve Applied for the Boston Marathon

I just sent in my application to be a charity runner for the 2010 Boston Marathon. Yes, I know, I go from one thing to another. I’m aware, my mother has told me this for the past 33 years. It’s how I get by-always looking for what’s next.
I was pretty upset when Komen for the Cure informed me they had no bibs. I had to write a very sad email to the Remember Betty Foundation, letting them know that I was not going to be able to run in memory of Danny Wood’s mom. I received a reply asking if there was another foundation that supported breast cancer research, but alas, there wasn’t.
That being said, I started to look at other charities. I kind of felt like a flip-flopper at first. Hey, you don’t have any bib? Well then I’ll just move onto the next foundation that does! But when I began looking, I didn’t feel any connection to the charities. I mean, its a good thing that I don’t know anyone with leukemia.
One of the last charities I looked at was GoKids Boston. Per their website (http://www.gokids-boston.org/index.html), their mission statement is: “We are driven to improve the health, wellness, and overall outlook for adolescents, pre-teens and teens.
We provide kids personalized instruction and support to become more physically active, improve fitness, eat nutritiously, and gain self-confidence.”
SCORE!!
Kids + physical activity +nutrition=a charity that I would be passionate about!!
The more I looked into this group, the more I fell in love. Education about positive body image in young women? Check. Partnership with UMass Nutrition Extension Program. Check. Research in the area of physical activity and nutrition in school aged children? Check.
Not only does this sound like a great charity, it also sounds like a great job.
And me being the pain that I am, I have already emailed the woman in charge of selecting the Team members, plus added her to my Linkedin connection list. I opted out of asking her to be my friend on facebook –that’s just a little over the top. For now.
Back to waiting…good thing I have a half marathon in November to occupy my time until I hear back. See, always looking at what's next on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment