Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Grandiose Boston Marathon Plan

After watching this year's Boston marathon (BTW: it was at work, with the sound off until my boss came in and saw what I was doing), I decided I really, really want to run Boston in 2010. Part of the allure of the Boston marathon is that you have to qualify for it. For my age group-I'd have to run (and maintain) an 8:25 mile. Yeah, I currently can't even do that for my 5K. So qualifying isn't gonna happen. My only option is being a charity runner. "Real" runners (aka those fast enough to qualify) think this is the "cheater" way to get into Boston. Hey, I'm gonna raise $3000 which I am financially responsible for if I cannot raise and STILL run as far as you will be running-I see nothing that resembles "cheating" in this scenario.
As this plan evolves in my pea-brain, I stumble upon the GREATEST IDEA ever. I will combine my love for running with my undying love for New Kids on the Block. I decide I will inquire to see if I can run Boston for the Betty Wood Breast Cancer Foundation (http://www.rememberbetty.org/). This foundation has been created by Danny Wood of NKOTB, in memory of his mother who died of breast cancer. I email the foundation, after agonizing over what to write. The women who is in charge of the emails send me a lovely thoughtful response, saying that since they were a small non-profit, they cannot secure bibs for Boston, but that I should see if I can get one through Komen for the Cure.(http://ww5.komen.org/) I email them, and they said they were in the process of obtaining bibs for 2010, so I needed to check back in the fall. So now I sit and wait....

No comments:

Post a Comment