Sunday, June 21, 2009

Step by Step




So now, the plan for Boston is in place. Here are my steps:


1. Sign up for Hartford marathon-to get one marathon under my belt before Boston


2. Apply and be accepted for a bib via Komen for the Cure


3. Inform Danny Wood of my plan


4. Oh yeah-train and run 26.2 miles


5. "Don't you know the time has arrived" -ok, I had no more steps and I figured this was only appropriate with the "New Kids" theme going




Well, like my things I have mapped out in my life, I needed to go out of order. Obviously, I would have love to secure my bib before telling Danny, but when opportunity knocks, I must take it. So this past Friday (June 19th), I was doing the meet and greet at the NKOTB concert in Mansfield, MA. Yes, it was my 4th one, blah, blah, not of relevance here.
My plan was as follows: I was going to go into the meet and greet and tell Danny I needed to talk to him about something. I was going tell him that I was going to run Boston in memory of his mother. I figured he'd ask if I had ever done anything like this, so I was ready to read off all of my running credentials, such as 3 halfs, 15+ 5 and 10K's and Hartford in the fall. As I played this moment in my mind, I got very emotional, as I hoped to convey to him a little about my past, how as a kid I would cry when I had to run a mile in school, so for me to voluntarily run 26.2 was beyond my wildest dreams.
Things didn't go as I planned-yet again. There was some mass confusion, usual for these M&G, and I kind of started the conversation at an awkward time, but I really didn't have any other chance. I told him I was going to run Boston in memory of his mom.
Danny: "Boston?"
Lisa: "Yeah-you wanna run 5 of the miles with me?"
Danny: "Screw that."
Lisa: "Come on-if each of you ran 5 miles with me, then I'd only have to run 1.2 on my own."
Danny: "Nah, I'm gonna do the walk in September instead. Are you gonna do that?"
Lisa: "Um, no. But I'm gonna write a blog and I will send you the link so you can see my progress, and, and, and"
Check out the above pic-this is me trying to get it all in. As you can see, I'm midsentence in the pic.
I'm such a loser. This was my chance to spill it all, get it all out there to him, my passion about this, my dedication to running and this cause. And I couldn't even tell you how I ended the conversation. Ugh.
Onward and upward-this week starts week one out of 16 for Hartford Marathon training. And I'm ready. This will put me on the path to completing Step One-"We can have lots of fun..."

No comments:

Post a Comment